Single members engaged in online dating are one of the fastest growing communities in America; this is especially true for gay men. While this means that your chances of finding Mr. Right greatly improve...
Top 5 Dating Advice From Beloved Gay TV Characters
By Top10BestDatingSites Staff
Sometimes, just sometimes, television does get it right... and if it gets it wrong, it at least does so in an entertaining way. The next time you're wondering where your relationship is headed or just looking for some dating tips for men, you might want to consider some bits of wisdom from some of the most beloved gay characters on television.
1. "If you want my advice? Get out of your own goddamn drama for a minute." - Nicky from Orange is the New Black
A revolutionary Netflix original, Orange is the New Black features a multitude of LGBTQ characters -- one of which is Nicki Nichols, who gives the above sage advice. Sometimes dating just becomes "all about the drama" -- and when it does, it's absolutely exhausting! When you find yourself putting more work into your relationship than it really seems to be worth, take a breather. One of the best dating tips for men is simply to take a time out when you need it and relax.
2. "You can never really know a person and if you think you can, you're living in a ... dream world!" -- David from Six Feet Under
David may have meant this in a bit of a cynical manner (David went through a lot of stuff), but, in fact, there's a positive note to this. There are new things that you'll discover about your partner all the time. You shouldn't make the assumption that there aren't new experiences that you can have with them... and you also shouldn't let your guard down too easily around new people. There are many things that all of us hide at first, and people are seldom exactly what they put on their match.com account.
3. "Let me tell you where this is going. You'll end up hating him in three weeks because, I don't know, he has a weird chest hair pattern, or he doesn't like watching E... Or he'll end up hating you because you're too needy. Then you'll fall apart, I'll pick you up, and then magically, you'll be ready to have a baby." -- Will from Will & Grace
There's something to be said for looking at our own patterns because we do tend to repeat our habits. Will knows Grace's dating habits so well that he can practically predict how her next relationship will end up, for better or worse. Sometimes we all need a best friend like Will to point these things out and help us out of our cycle so we can have a healthier, stronger relationship with our partner.
4. "Boyfriends arrive early and do all the boring stuff that no one else wants to do, like getting ice, or this conversation." -- Titus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Just because a character is beloved doesn't necessarily mean that they're always right. Titus' words may ring truthfully for many single gay men, but they shouldn't. Don't forget to appreciate your partner and try your best not to take them for granted, because it is a fact: our partners often have to do the stuff that no one else would put up with. And don't forget that you should always be giving them back as much as you're receiving from them.
5. "You care. I need somebody who doesn't care." -- Kalinda from The Good Wife
Kalinda is a cold, calculating, gorgeous femme fatale who often prefers the company of women to men. She knows exactly what she wants: casual relationships without any strings attached. And there's nothing wrong with that. But what is likely to go wrong is putting yourself in relationships with someone who want more. Be honest with yourself and others about your needs... it's just easier that way. You don't want to have "long-term relationship" on your Zoosk profile when you're really looking for a fling.
Ready to take all that sage advice to heart? It may be time to open a CompatiblePartners.net account to look for gay men online. CompatiblePartners is a website designed to help same sex couples find each other. You could be well on your way to a well-advised relationship within just a few clicks of the mouse.