Perhaps one of the last places you would expect to find fraud is at a place of worship, or from a religious person who shares your faith and good intentions. Unfortunately, church scams are a real...
How to Identify & Avoid Christian Dating Site Scammers
By Top10BestDatingSites Staff
As Christians, we work hard on a daily basis to be good examples to others and to live in an upright way. We try hard to love our fellow man, help the poor, practice humility, and give others the benefit of the doubt. What happens when these important and laudable attributes face-off with dishonesty and deceit?
Christian dating scams are being perpetrated at an alarming rate, and innocent singles are being tricked into giving away large sums of money. Does the combination of being overly willing to trust a stranger in the name of love AND in the name of being a good Christian make religious people an easier target for a potential online dating scam?
How do Internet Dating Scams Work?
Online dating scams come in a variety of packages. The most common are romance scams, where scammers create a very appealing profile on a dating site using fake pictures and information. Once they get your attention, these con artists then dedicate themselves to a building romantic relationship with you, by constantly compliment you and make you feel loved. Unfortunately, these are deceitful measure to lure you and establish your trust.
At that point, they will start to emotionally manipulate you. The excuses may vary from a family relative who is hospitalized and they need financial help or that they recently got fired from their job and cannot pay this month’s rent. Either way, they are in an unfortunate situation and are in serious need for your help, your money. It might start with small amounts, but they will progressively increase with time, taking advantage of your kind Christian soul.
Are Christians Easy Targets for Scams?
God fearing Christians can unfortunately become easy targets for scams. We may find we are more trusting and more willing to believe others who purport to be practicing Christians. The sad truth is that the qualities which are often the most admirable and honorable can be used against us. One Harvard-based study concludes that religious people are generally viewed as more trustworthy by both religious and nonreligious Americans, and also tend to be more trusting of others.
What makes Christians more vulnerable to those who aim to prey on people of faith? We may assume the “person” we are communicating with online shares our ideals and willingly give them the benefit of the doubt. Unfortunately, by the time we realize that something is wrong; it’s often too late. The results can be devastating, but getting caught into this trap is avoidable. There are some easy-to-spot behaviors that scammers use on their victims.
How to Recognize a Scammer
Here are some sure-fire signs to know if you are dealing with a potential scammer:
1) Most scammers use the same background stories: they are widowers, they have had terrible misfortunes in life, and so on. They will use these sad stories to ask for money.
2) Search for their photos in Google images. If other profiles with different names are using the same photos, you may be dealing with a scammer. The pictures may also be taken from websites or stock image sites.
3) They refuse to video chat or speak on the phone or meet. Obviously, they are hiding information from you and are most likely the person in the photo.
4) The scammer pulls at your heartstrings and plays on your sympathies by telling you tear-jerking sob-stories about the terrible predicament they are currently in and is requesting money. Do not even go there, do not send any money! You will never get it back.
How to Avoid Scammers on Online Dating Sites
1) Use reputable Christian dating sites with good track records and thousands of satisfied customers such as recommend Senior People Meet and Zoosk. These dating sites place a strong emphasis on preventing & banning scammers from using their services.
2) Trust your intuition – if something feels too good to be true, it most likely is. Don’t try to persuade yourself that this might be real. If you have doubts, follow your gut feeling and terminate the relationship as quickly as possible.
3) After chatting for a certain amount of time, arrange to meet, at the very least through video chat. If he/she is completely unwilling video chat ,constantly postponing and being evasive, be suspicious. Remember: do not send money at any point, even to arrange a meeting.
If you tend to be a compassionate person, see the best in everyone, and have had past experiences where you feel others have taken advantage of you, you may be at risk. Be proactive and protect yourself by using a reputable, quality dating website like Zoosk!
Now that you’re informed on online scams, are you ready to date safely? Join Christian Mingle to meet real Christian singles looking for love.
About Top10BestDatingSites Staff
Disclaimer: We work hard to offer you valuable and reliable information about all of the products and services we review. In order to provide you with this free service, we use links on our site that provide us with commissions for referring you to the seller's site. We guarantee that this does not influence the material we present, but may influence the positioning on our site, and only supports our efforts to offer you the best and most relevant information possible.